What an awesome playtest last night at Mox!
Things we need to work on
- We need to have a bit less dice rolling
- Our current Critical system just isn't fun. Also, mathematically, it makes adding more dice using Overcharge Cards destructive
- Higher chance to hit with a small chance to crit when upgrading towers does not feel rewarding enough
- Need some other method than just text to differentiate card types at a glance
- Some of our descriptive text needs work and needs to include limitations on the cards where possible
- Need to match terminology across cards and alien stat board for Armor/Defense
- Instead of adding damage to aliens, they would like to see us play with removing it. This adds a bit to setup time, but will reduce needs to check alien states throughout the game session and is more fitting with the DG system
Things that worked really well
- Simple art design on cards
- Handling damage tracking on aliens with counter tokens on a pillar
- Core rules were fun and enjoyable (drawing, playing cards, discarding, alien movement, building towers, upgrading towers, attacking, etc...)
- Map Design works
- Upgrade system looks interesting (didn't get a chance to try it out during session)
- Game doesn't take a huge area to play
- Team play dynamics (sharing resources, bonus resource pool, one person loading card into tower another fires)
Thanks again to our playtesters!
Over the next couple of days we are going to make some changes to our damage and attack system (I will be streaming some of this work) and then next week we will be streaming a playtest with the new system.